Interested in working with me? Feel free to drop me a line anytime!
Aylwen offers services related to textile conservation, millinery & hat making, event & festival organising, historical costume design and historical performance. She is passionate about heritage and skilled in bringing it to life.
Aylwen has a Bachelor of Heritage, Museums and Conservation, majoring in Conservation and Cultural Heritage Practice. She completed internships at the Australian War Memorial Textile Conservation Department and at the National Museum of Australia's Conservation Department.
Aylwen has experience in arts management and is experienced in reaching out and engaging with the public. She has a Certificate IV in Arts Administration (Events Management), is Costume Director for the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy and for the past 12 years has been Director of Jane Austen Festival Australia, part of the ACT Heritage Festival.
Aylwen has complemented her studies and activities in Australia with studies overseas:
- Certificate in Crewel Embroidery from the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court, UK,
- studied textile conservation at the University of Glasgow,
- studied visual design at the University of Cambridge,
- studied textile archaeology at the University of Copenhagen,
- researched historical costumes with both private and National Trust institutions in the UK,
- studeid millinery at the University of the Arts in London (London College of Fashion)
- has attended profession millinery courses in France, Melbourne & Sydney,
- she has toured museums and heritage sites across the US, UK and Europe,
- studied flax and silk fabric production and use with specialists in England and France,
- attended specialist workshops in historical costume production at Colonial Williamsburg in the US and the School of Historical Dress in London.
Aylwen has had the honour of being invited to teach costume making classes at Costume College and Locust Grove in the US, and Baroque Festivals in Potsdam, Germany. She has performed at historical festivals and events in Canada, US, UK, France, Germany, Austria, Latvia, Estonia, and Finland.
Do let her now have the honour of working with you!